Thursday 26 July 2012

September 21st-23rd, 2010 pt.2


The three of us were back at it again this morning for another glorious day of riding.  Our mission: Infiltrate the abandoned radar base near East Haven and gather as much intel as we can.  The last time I was here in Vermont almost a year ago, Canuman gave me the directions to the base and I attempted a solo mission.  At the time, Canuman didn’t have the appropriate steed to tackle the terrain that led up to the top of East Mountain.  I accepted the mission and the result ended in failure.  My mind started playing tricks on me while riding along radar road.  I had an eerie feeling about the whole ordeal and decided to turn back.  Armed with an additional 2 riders on KLRs this time around, we will infiltrate the base!  Failure is not an option!



Our first obstacle we had to contend with.  I feel much better now because if I had ridden up to this point last year, I would’ve turned back anyway. 



The only way to get past the gates is to ride around it in the bushes.  Just as we were deciding on who should go first, Amanda had already fired up her engines to make the attempt. 



She ended up losing her balance and tipping over.  Lucky for her she avoided falling on a small tree stump that could’ve punctured the oil case or worse, broken an ankle.  I must say, I do admire her courage though. 
 


Canuman followed suit without any problems…



…while I rounded up the rearguard. 



After bypassing another gate and negotiating a few twists and turns on rough terrain, we made it to the top of East Mountain where the abandoned radar base was located.  Hmmm, maybe this sign is the reason we should stay out.  Bah, your phony scare tactics won’t fool us!  Forward and onwards!



We rode up to the barracks and decided to travel by foot.  We all got the sense of what it would be like in a post apocalyptic world.  Buildings were all rundown and tattered.  Trees and grass were all overgrown.  Animal droppings littered the entire complex.



What’s left of inside the dining hall



Wouldn’t want to be walking around in here with no shoes on; broken glass everywhere. 



Not much was left behind



Wood stove?  Chopped wood?  Somebody is living here.  Better stay frosty. 



The gymnasium or what’s left of it. Sorry about the profanity; it is what it is.  I wonder how many times the local kids in the area have dared one another to come up here late at night. 


Nature was here first.

A radar base came second.

Nature reclaims land.


No comments:

Post a Comment