Friday 18 November 2011

October 2nd, 2009

It was cold last night.  I would wake up every hour because it was so cold.  I had more layers in my pack, but I was too darn lazy to put them on once I was tucked away in my bag.  Did I mention it was cold?  I managed to survive the night and as soon as the skies began to lighten up, I was packed and ready to hit the road.  Rode into Saranac Lake and stopped by at a grocery store to pick up some instant oatmeal for breakfast then rode around town to look for a library for internet access.  2 weeks before departure I started a thread on a website forum called Adventure Rider looking for tent space.  With the limited funds and the duration of the trip, there was no way I could afford to stay in motels or even campgrounds for that matter.  This was more like a cry for help and the response to the thread blew me away.  What started out as simply shooting across to the East Coast; now became a pilgrimage to meet with all the people who have taken the time to respond to my thread.  Of all the crap we hear on the news, it’s nice to know that there are still decent human beings on this earth.  Here’s the link to the website www.advrider.com  So there I was, waiting for the library to open a half hour from now.  Better make use of the time to cook up breakfast!  Energy refilled, I walked into the library and made contact with my first ADVrider inmate who responded to my thread that was nearby who goes by the moniker Canuman (“inmate” is the term the forum uses to describe all the members who register on ADV).  I also got an email from Amanda telling me not to ride too far; she’s decided to come with me.

My first glimpse of the Adirondack mountains

Another view

Whiteface mountain hiding in the background
Cold is in the air.

Warmth, least expected, found near.

Someone's coming here!


No comments:

Post a Comment