Thursday 8 March 2012

March 8th, 2010

Once again we said our thanks and goodbyes to Mike and continued on with our journey.  Our destination for today was no other than Sin City itself—Las Vegas.  Inmate mpanther has been keeping tabs on us back in October and offered us a place to stay when we get to Vegas.  I remember hearing about mpanther’s invitation as if it were yesterday.  We were in Connecticut; Amanda and I had a difficult time coming down the stairs because we had one too many hard apple ciders the night before.  TwilightError reads from his laptop, “Someone posted (on ADV) that you guys have a place to stay in Vegas.  I’m so jealous.”  Here we are almost half a year later and we’re a day’s ride from Las Vegas.  What makes it more interesting for me is that I was in Las Vegas via airplane last year for my brother’s bachelor party and now I’m back with Amanda via motorbike!  Pretty crazy if you ask me.  Man, what a ride!  We’re gonna ride along the Strip in Vegas baby!  Woo Hoo!
Leaving Casa Mike in Grand Canyon
Rode along infamous Route 66; wish I had taken the time to take pictures of the Burma Shave signs we rode by.  They were hilarious.
A lot of congestion with tourists, but we still managed to see a bit of it.
This picture has a lot of explaining to do...
…When you’re riding with no communication headsets, you end up thinking a lot.  People we’ve come across on this trip have asked us, “How do you do it?  I’m surprised you didn’t slit each others’ throats by now.”  The fact that we haven’t says a lot.  The amount of time we’re going to spend together (if we can see it through to the end) over the next year is equivalent to at least 3 or 4 years of how much time the average couple spends together, maybe more.  You work 8 hours out of the day and by the time you come home you wind down and spend maybe a few hours of quality time with each other.  That’s not including friends and family commitments that usually take up the weekends.  Amanda and I are stuck to the hip 24/7.  The best and worst of us will be revealed if it hasn’t already.  So far it’s been smooth sailing; any minor tiffs we might have get squashed pretty quickly.  Let’s face it, the fact that she rides a motorcycle, can rough it like the best of them, and is gung-ho to do and try just about anything has nothing to do with why I got down on one knee and proposed to her.  She’s my best friend, my one and only...and it seemed like a good idea at the time.
435 km


Smile for the picture!
That pose is a great idea!
What?  You’re joking right?

No comments:

Post a Comment